Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Safe and Easy Grout Cleaner - Coke is No Joke!

Ever since we moved into our house, I've known the grout between our kitchen floor tiles needed a good cleaning. If you look around the outer edges of the room, you can tell it's supposed to be a light tan color instead of dark grey. Yuck!


Getting down on my hands and knees and scrubbing tile lines isn't my idea of fun (call me crazy) so I've put it off, but the time has come. The other day we checked out some heavy duty grout cleaners at Home Depot, but the fine print said you're supposed to wear a gas mask because it's a dangerous acid. Again, call me crazy, but the idea of having to wear a gas mask in my own home - or ever really - is kind of a turnoff. So I picked up a grout brush, which is really just a glorified toothbrush and prepared for some sore arms.

Then I had a flashback to a junior high science demo where we put nails in jars of Coca Cola and in a week, they'd practically dissolved from all the acid in the Coke. Obviously, the acid in Coke is safe since we drink it and all so I decided to give it a shot on the grout and picked up a 2 liter. I tested a small section and IT WORKED! Check out the before and after...

   

Chris was gone during my little experiment so I purposely cleaned just half of one of the grout lines to show the drastic difference. Crazy, isn't it?


Here's the how to...

Step 1: Pour Coke on the tile line using a squirty top sports bottle and let it sit for about a minute.

Step 2: Give it a quick scrub with a grout brush or toothbrush (the Coke will get dirty from all the muck coming up from the grout).

Step 3: Wipe up the Coke with a paper towel or rag. Squeal with excitement over how much difference it made (optional).

Step 4: Give the area a quick mop to keep it from getting sticky (I just used my Swiffer Wet Jet).

The next step will be applying a sealer (I have a feeling the previous owner never did) that absorbs into the grout to keep it from ever getting that dirty again. I still can't believe Coke is my new favorite cleaning product and I'm amazed by how clean the grout got with so little work!

18 comments:

  1. This is great Robin. We were just talking about how we slacked on getting the sealer down on our new tile's grout and it needed cleaned. Coke here we come!!! My wife loves the stuff so we always have some on hand!

    PS I started a blog as well if you are interested. www.soldbyjason.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason - hope it works for you. Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um GENIUS!!! I can't wait to try this out

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be trying this for sure! oh and BTW... thank you for all the cool tips and tricks you post. I have found such inspiration in reading your blog. keep em comin... i will be staying tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are my newist hero! I've got very similar tile and it is disgusting. When we bought the house 3 years ago I started cleaning the grout but only got part of the kitchen done. It took forever to do. I used TSP but it did not come out nearly as clean as your tile with the Coke.

    I can't wait to give it a try!

    *bisous*
    Dane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just tried diet coke and it worked well without the stickiness.
    Maura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! We had tile exactly like that when we moved into our house (but since it was new the grout was still white) and I immediately painted the grout a darker color :) This is a great tip. . .scary what we put in our bodies, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coke is a great toilet cleaner too...kind of creepy that people drink the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good tip on cleaning toilets with Coke... I think I might try it in my tub too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!! Can't wait to try this!! I HATE the down on your knees grout cleaning scenario. This will be fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow I am going to try this right now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I noticed that you said the previous owners had not sealed it. Do you think it will work on sealed tile where dirt, grime and hairspray has darkened it. I have tried everything I can think of to try and clean it. It's not REALLY that noticeable BUT I can see it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's worth a try - don't think it could hurt anything. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our kitchen tild badly needs to be cleaned. May have to try this. Also, would this work for shower tiles?

    ReplyDelete
  15. We just moved and I'm going to try this, too! Thanks!
    We've come to the conclusion that unsealed grout gets black BECAUSE it's been mopped a lot. Places like under the 'fridge didn't get nearly so black. The thing is, you mop and then wring out the mop and put the freshly dirty water down to mop again. Yuck. Now I'm looking for double buckets! Hopefully sealing it will help. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tried this and it didn't work for me. :( Maybe I need to leave it on a little longer. I did it on my counter tops. Wish it had worked.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it depends on the stain because there are various Eco friendly stain remover which is quite easy to remove any stain like grout, mold, mildew, ink, pet odor etc. If you want to remove these types of stains so vinegar or baking soda is the best option to remove stains.

    flood cleanup restoration

    ReplyDelete

  18. My wife wanted our kitchen counters and floor to be regrouted, so I was going to do just that. I learnt about NuGrout from a buddy of mine who agreed to help me with the re-grouting. Boy am I glad I asked him to help me out. The NuGrout cleaner and Pre-treat products worked wonders! It appears as if we have a brand new kitchen. We even used the products to clean our bathrooms. Don't hesitate to check them out at http://www.nugrout.com/

    ReplyDelete