Sunday, April 15, 2012

Whoa Baby - He's Here!

Chris and I have a son! Tyler Thomas was born (quite unexpectedly) Monday, April 2nd - a full month early.



Here's the cliffs notes version of his birth story and first week:

I had a bad cold and did a lot of coughing and sneezing. On Monday morning I noticed some bleeding so I called my OB office and they told me that was common late in pregnancy, but to come for a quick check on my way to work. Unfortunately my doc was on vacation last week, but the nurse practitioner checked and agreed it was a little more than normal so they did an ultrasound to make sure the baby was okay. All his stats were great, but my amniotic fluid level was really low so they told me to head to the hospital to be induced. 


It was all very calm and collected... I called Chris at work and told him to meet me at home because he was going to be a dad. Then I called my mom and told her to get to MN because the baby was coming. Chris and I grabbed our hospital bags, said bye to Calvin and we were on our way.



We got to the hospital at 11:30am and by noon they had broken what was left of my water and started a Pitocin IV to induce contractions. The baby had been head down and really low for a couple weeks so I didn't need any extra drugs to help with dilation. 


Contractions kicked in and picked up quickly. By the time my mom arrived at 4pm they were pretty intense and coming every few minutes. I got an epidural around 5pm and went from 3cm dilated to complete by 9pm. Then I "labored down" until I felt the contractions a bit more, pushed for half an hour and he was born at 10:07pm.



Luckily at 6 lbs 8 oz, Tyler was a healthy size for 36 weeks, but is still a "late preterm" premie and had to spend a week in the NICU to prove he could adjust to life on the outside with regard to breathing, blood sugar, body temp and feeding. Thank God he did fine with 3/4 of those... never needing breathing assistance or an incubator and blood sugar tests were great.

The NICU setup was as nice as it could have been under the circumstances. Tyler had his own semi-private room and we had 24-hour access to touch him, hold him, change him, etc.



Tyler's breathing was a little quick after birth and a chest x-ray showed some fluid in his lungs so he was put on IV antibiotics in case of pneumonia. 




All tests for lung infection came back negative so the IV came out on Wednesday, which made it a lot easier to snuggle with him. 




Ty was also jaundiced so he spent some time under a UV light box to reduce his level of bilirubin. He actually seemed to enjoy it and cracked us up by crossing his legs like this...



With the jaundice out of the way, the main hurdle became proving he could eat enough to gain weight. It's common for premies to get too tired to eat enough orally so Ty got a tiny feeding tube in his nose to supplement breastfeeding.


They monitored everything going in and out of him by weighing him before and after all feedings and weighing his dirty diapers too... it was pretty intense.



I stayed at the hospital around the clock to feed him on a strict three hour schedule then on demand, which made for one tired (but happy) mama.



Tyler made progress really quickly and was feeding like a champ in no time so the feeding tube came out Sunday afternoon.



By Monday, Tyler was back to his birth weight and passed all the other required tests so we were able to bring him home in time to celebrate his one week birthday! 




We're so thankful to have Tyler home and healthy and it's so much easier to care for him without wires and tubes everywhere. It was a whirlwind of a week with plenty of ups and downs, but we're so in love with our baby and proud of how much he's accomplished already. Now Chris and I are just settling into our new roles as parents and soaking up all the snuggles from our little man!

10 comments:

  1. WOW! Congratulations! He's a big boy, imagine how big he would have been if he cooked another month! He's a beauty, enjoy :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you and Chris, Robin! I definitely teared up reading the first part of the details, but Tyler so make me smile seeing his fancy crossed-legs under the UV light. Enjoy every minute of having him. I can't wait to meet the little guy! :)

    -Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations - he is so handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy every minute of your baby!! They grow up so fast. So anxious to meet him and get some snuggle time in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! I have a 2 1/2 year old who was born a week late, so I can't even begin to imagine what it was like to have your baby come so unexpectedly! Good luck with everything and I look forward to your future posts as a new mommy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! He is beautiful! Enjoy this sweet time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! Congrats! I can't ever read a 'birth story' without flash backs...I've got 5 totally natural birth stories to share...gotta week? From the 1st to the 5th, they were all amazing experiences. Many blessings and much happiness to your little family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I found this blog from googling how to clean microfiber couches and then went to the homepage, Congratulations on the birth of your son. My daughter came on the day I turned 36 weeks, so I know how you feel for him to come so early! She's now almost two and although she did have a couple late developments, she is healthy and happy as I'm sure your son will be. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Greta, found your blog by way of looking for ways to clean my couch. Ha ha! Loved this post though, and it reminded me so much of my own experience when I had my son, Shea, in March of this year. He was 35 weeks early due to a bad chest infection and pancreatitis that I had picked up. At 7 months today, you'd never know he was a preemie. Hope your little Tyler is still doing well - he sure is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete